So the other day I was in Lucille Ball Memorial Park in Celoron, NY and I took a picture of the statue of Lucy and posted it on Facebook.
But as the days passed I felt a niggling. A tiny creeping feeling of guilt.
Then it occurred to me, the source of this feeling: there are two Lucys in Lucille Ball Memorial Park and completely ignored one of them.
One of the Lucy statues is far more popular than the other.
I wondered what caused me to totally ignore the less popular Lucy.
Am I just a shallow self-centered jerk? Of course I am–but I don’t think that was reason for my callous dismissal of the other Lucy.
Maybe it was time for some introspection. Maybe it was time I delved into the deepest recesses of my brain to find out what’s going on in there.
So that’s what I did.
Honestly, it more than a little unsettling…there were way more spiders in there than I would have anticipated.
I came to realization that I have far more in common with the unpopular Lucy than I would like to admit.
- She’s clearly drunk on Vitameatavegamin.
- Her face is contorted in a weird way that frightens people.
- At the sight of her, small children weep and flee into wilderness.
- When birds crap on her, people don’t care so much.
- She’s referred to as “Scary” Lucy. I’m referred to as “That Prick” Larry.
- People complained about her until she was replaced with something better.
I’m practically living her life!
What Should I do about this revelation?
I can either buckle down and focus on making changes to better myself, or I can avoid Lucille Ball Memorial Park.
I guess I’ll be seeing less of the park.