My blog has recently received a criticism that I feel necessitates a response.
Note: when I write that my blog has received a criticism, what I mean is I’m choosing to focus on one criticism from the myriad of criticisms I have been inundated with. Criticisms of a variety and amount, they compel the use of the words myriad and inundate.
I have a meticulously constructed an eight-step process for dealing with criticism.
- Dismiss it initially with a forced chuckle.
- Allow it to slowly creep back into my thoughts.
- Push it to the dark recesses of my brain where it will exist as a tiny glowing ember.
- Consciously ignore the fact that the glowing ember is growing into a substantial blaze.
- Remain in a state of denial as the blaze turns into an inferno.
- Enter a state of white-hot seething rage.
- The sudden realization that I’m just being silly and I need to relax.
- The next day I drop a package in the mail to the criticizer. The package contains a colony of Crazy Stinging Amazonian Bastard Ants. The label on the package reads: shake roughly before opening.
Note: Crazy Stinging Amazonian Bastard Ants hate to be shaken; they especially hate to be shaken roughly.
What was the criticism that triggered this post?
This blog isn’t serious enough.
Ridiculous. Here are some of the serious topics this blog has tackled:
- The growing garden gnome menace.
- How to deal with unruly neighbors without leaving evidence.
- How to destroy evidence.
- The plight of our nation: the great mime scourge.
- How to remove white face paint from your hand.
Note: I am by no means advocating that anyone slap a mime in the face. Violence is wrong.
- The horror of being attacked with a dead weasel.
- The horror of being attacked with a Justin Bieber doll.
- The less horrific nature of being attacked by Justin Bieber himself.
- The ongoing feud between Justin Bieber and Beaker the Muppet.
- The embarrassment of being beaten up by a piece of felt.
- How French fries cause cancer in lab rats.
- How everything causes cancer in lab rats.
- Why it sucks to be a lab rat.
- Why bulls have names like Destroyer, The Mauler, and Widow-maker.
- Why bull-riders have names like Bucky, Earl, and that guy who used to have testicles.
- Why rodeo clowns smell like hay, manure, and quiet desperation.
- Boy bands and why badgers hate them.
- The ongoing search for the existence of Bigfoot.
- Lady Bigfoot, her breasts and the ongoing search for their existence.
- What to do if someone accuses you of being a leprechaun.
- Why crack cocaine is bad, and prompts others to accuse you of being a leprechaun.
- Why crack cocaine causes others to brandish a weapon as they make wild accusations.
- How crack cocaine can lead to your arrest.
- Why people hate raccoons and their creepy little people hands.
- The end of the world on December 12, 2012.
- Other crap the Mayans got wrong.
- Why Tom Cruise thinks we have aliens inside of us.
- Other possible titles for Katie Holmes autobiography.
- The discovery of a unicorn lair in North Korea
- Other things weird little dictators believe in.
- The correlation between great literature and monkeys throwing feces.
A veritable cornucopia of pure seriousness.
I think I’ve made my point.
Another critic accused this blog of being almost funny. This person’s opinion almost matters.
His opinion walks right up to the edge of mattering, but just doesn’t quite get there.
His opinion sticks its toes in the ocean of mattering, but decides the water is too cold and probably filled with parasites and medical waste.
Instead of taking a nice swim, his opinion decides to go cliff diving.
The cliff diving almost goes well, but not quite.
His opinion ends its existence impaled on a jagged rock.
It’s a pity…almost.